Sunday, February 12, 2006

My first experience with kids

Yes, they have arrived!

As I am qualified in quad bikes, I have spent most of the week taking those sessions, and have surprised myself at how good I have been (i.e. the kids were still alive at the end!!). The returners, who I have shadowed for a few sessions, and who I have shared my quad sessions with, have mostly been nice, though some I was not impressed with. The first session I shadowed was archery and the kids were really bored at the end of it. I also had an evening ents (you usually get one a week) of a night hike with 2 returners (one we have nicknamed Lumpface) and one newbie called Hannah (not the annoying one). We obviously wanted to do the hike together (you have two instructors on a night hike) but they weren't having it, so of course I had to put my foot down. They conceded, obviously weren't happy, and we had a brilliant night hike! We then had DI duty (night duty, ensuring all kids are in bed and quiet), which went ok, though a few kids were acting up, so by the end of that day we were knackered.

Before the season started on Monday, we went out to a pub for a meal and an evening of dancing on the tables - it really was a site to behold, with everyone up there, almost concussing themselves with the low ceilings and beams.

On Thursday, the night before most of the kids left, was a disco where some staff were on duty. We weren't but decided to go along anyway, and had a great time making fools of ourselves. We then went back to the 'Library' (the onsite bar) for karaoke where I sang with several people and rounded off the evening nicely.

No comments: