Saturday, February 04, 2006

Fall from grace

Well yesterday was an eventful one. I did some more field studies sessions, involving taking river readings, and then looking at trees, which were really cool. Then we went for an evening of rock climbing, which was without ropes but with crash mats, so we had to sign a disclaimer form.

It's just as well we did, because otherwise Seb (our lovely Dutch instructor) would have been in lots of trouble. As it was, my fall and Hannah's fall (another girl in my field studies group who I am having slight difficulties with, because she always has something to say about everything, but anyway) were down to us.

So I climbed my first wall and jumped, though fell so strangely I almost gave myself concussion on the wall. The second time, I thought I had bent my knees enough, but ended up falling backwards and doing my back in. I have never felt pain like it (now I know how you feel Hayley) and went into shock. I was fine for a few minutes then started shaking and getting cold. Meanwhile, Hannah had fallen and jammed her ankle between the mat and the wall, so was in agony. So when the first aiders arrived there was I lying underneath a pile of coats shaking like anything, and Hannah sobbing with an ankle the size of a house. I was pronounced fit, whereas Hannah had very limited movement so was shipped off to the hospital (she later arrived back on site on crutches but only with a sprain).

I expected to wake up this morning feeling so bad, but actually I was ok, and with a breakfast of Ibuprofen I was alright for the day.

Today we went down to the beach to do an environmental impact assessment on a derelict site, and then did offsite scenarios, where I was rubbish at controlling the naughty 'kids'. So today has not been the best, though I am going out tonight to a pub for a meal and a sort of dance, though this might be substantially reduced to my normal standard!

No comments: